e's Ventilation Terminal

AN INDEX

Friday, February 10, 2006

Tool is playing with your mind; Teaching vs. doing (sort of)

When listeing to this album, I am always wondering what stance the musicians take behind the music. What were the intents and directions taken to produce a mysterious opus like this. Lateralus (TOOL, op. 4) is a concept album that stands on its own and goes a step further in the effort of the collective. Take a look:


Restructuring Lateralus: Tool's Holy Gift Fans of the alternative metal band Tool have to be some of the most curious and creative in rock. They are incredibly active interpreters of Tool's music and lyrics and are proud of their sense of intelligence as fans. Tool's aesthetic lends itself very well to wide ranging interpretation, dealing as it does with "alternative" views of inner consciousness, vaguely Buddhist spirituality, and other interesting philosophical inquiries such as the mutation of DNA and the concept of a Third Eye. In other words, these are not songs about your best girl and movies on a Saturday night. The band's music can best be described as drawing on the aggression and ensemble virtuosity of metal combined with the kind of tortured interiority that characterizes Radiohead's post-O.K. Computer music. Such a combination certainly sets them apart from many metal bands, and the centrality of their unusual lyrics only adds to the mystique of the band.However, any previous interpretative theories by fans have been outdone by the recent focus on the notion that the entirety of Tool's most recent album, Lateralus, actually needs to be reordered in order to reveal a secret message dealing with moving through consciousness as a movement of along spirals: "Spiral out, keep going, spiral out" sings Maynard James Keenan toward the end of "Lateralus," the album's title track. Added to this is the tantalizing prospect that the album and its message are also influenced by the Fibonacci sequence of numbers. When plotted on a graph Fibonacci numbers form a spiral-like image. Moreover, the main riff in "Lateralus" is comprised of three different meters: 9/8, 8/8, 7/8, or: 987, which happens to be the sixteenth step in the Fibonacci sequence (as observed by Keenan himself during the writing of the song). Moreover, moreover (!), Keenan's halting vocal rhythms during the first verse of "Lateralus" correspond to Fibonacci numbers in their syllable counts:

1 (Black)
1 (then)
2 (white are)
3 (all I see)
5 (in my infancy)
8 (red and yellow then came to be)
5 (reaching out to me)
3 (lets me see)

Restructuring Lateralus: Tool's Holy Gift

I plan on doing some more of my own writing and more pictures. Unfortunately, the Flickr photos I try to post don't always appear and instead create a blank link. I have been writing on some random topics lately along with some minor poetry. I'm trying to get more into the improvisational stage of creativity instead of just the reproductive. It plays such an important role in my educational philosophy, but yet I don't create in my own education as much as I should. In the back of my mind, I hope this leads to an inspiration in composing.


technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger JiminyCricket81 said...

I really enjoyed this post, Evan....both the stuff about Tool (which I'll be using the next time I talk to my brother Stephen, who is a HUGE Tool fan) and the stuff about your own personal writing. And, since turnabout is fair play and I really appreciated your comment on my blog, here's a question for you: is a re-rendering of a pre-written piece of art (i.e. a song composed by whomever that you then sing and interpret for yourself and your audience) necessarily less creative or even different from a piece of art that is completely original and composed by you? Isn't everything connected to the point that any difference is just a difference in degree rather than a difference in kind? I'm curious to know what you think...

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Evan said...

I like what you are saying with the "difference in degree vs. difference in kind." When I think about this, my feelings are a bit envious of the people who can actualy create the music or the art from nothing. I'm creating from something. Does it mean I'm just creative and possibly just not original? I will admit that I respect an artist who can compose or create something to inspire people to re-interpret for themselves and others. Although an interpretation can be just as creative as an original.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger JiminyCricket81 said...

And for me, because (as Kati Kiss says) music is an art that lives in time, an interpretation IS an original in a very real way. More later...

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger JiminyCricket81 said...

oooh, and speaking of Kati Kiss, I think it's pretty cool that Maynard and Bela Bartok share an interest on Fibonacci....

 
At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It`s interesting to read about your blogging Evan. Maybe you should post something from the kodaly institute? That would be funny and interesting hehe. I dunno if you got all the pics that I have from the year we studied together. Take care and keep up the good blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home